September 25, 2012

Floored

I mentioned in a previous post about the project I dove into.  That project was renovating our house floors.  I took up the carpet in the living room and the hallway along with the linoleum in the dining room and kitchen.   The plan was not to put anything down on the floors but to stain and seal the concrete since our house was built on a concrete slab.  
When I picked up the flooring here is the mess we were left with to clean up...

So we had to clean it all up with sanders, scrapers, and brushes.  It was a lot of work that kept our house wrecked for a week as our living area furniture was in the garage.  

After we got the concrete cleaned and prepped it looked like this...

Then came time to add the stain which would give it color and the sealer which would protect the concrete and give it some shine.  We had mixed feelings about how exactly it would turn out but we love our finished look!
Especially AB, she is really excited with the new look.  (if the wife is happy, life is happy)

Maintenance is minimal with just needing to run a swiffer regularly and waxing the floors twice a year.  It really won't be cold to the touch in the winter time since it is a slab that is built into the ground (but we'll let you know for sure since winter is around the corner).  

I am glad we are done!  Now we get to shop for a cool area rug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This came out really well! And you finished it pretty quickly! But I guess I would have too if I was living with no furniture in my house too. Great job you two! I love it and can't wait to see it in person...some day!
wendy